NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID OUTSIDE OF THE CHICAGO, IL AND ST. LOUIS, MO METROPOLITAN AREAS.
1. Promotion Period: The Walgreens Expression Challenge (the “Contest”) begins at 9:00 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) on October 1, 2016 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CT on November 30, 2016 (“Promotion Period”).
- Eligibility: Open only to legal United States residents residing in the Chicago metropolitan area of Illinois or the St. Louis metropolitan area of Missouri who are between 14 and 18 years of age currently enrolled in high school as of date of Entry. Professional artists, videographers, photographers and writers, or anyone who earns at least 20% of their income by providing these services are not eligible to enter this Contest. Employees of Walgreen Co. (“Sponsor”), GoldStar Communications (“Administrator”) and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household are not eligible. This offer is void outside the Chicago, Illinois, and St. Louis, Missouri, metropolitan areas and wherever prohibited. Subject to all federal, state and local laws.3. How To Enter The Contest: During the Promotion Period, individuals may enter the contest online by visiting www.expressionschallenge.com (“Contest Website”), completing all required fields of the registration form and then following the onscreen instructions to submit your entry into one of three categories: Visual Arts, Media Arts and Creative Writing. To be entered in the Visual Arts category, entrants must upload original artwork along with a title and caption. To be entered in the Media Arts category, entrants must upload a photo or video along with a title and caption. To be entered in the Creative Writing category, entrants must upload an original essay or poem with a title and caption. The art, photo, video, essay, or poem should reflect your perspective on Sexting, Self-Esteem, Teen Pregnancy, Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) or Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Awareness and Prevention, Abstinence, or Sexual Responsibility Awareness to educate other teens on these key concerns some teens may face to generate awareness (“the Entry”). To enter by mail, go to www.expressionschallenge.com, click on the “Download” tab, and print an entry form from the “Download” section. The Official Entry Form can also be found on the reverse of a “Walgreens Expression Challenge” flyer. Complete and attach the Entry Form and mail the Entry Form along with your original piece of Visual Art, Creative Writing or Media Arts to: Walgreens Expression Challenge, GoldStar Communications, 230 E. Ohio St., Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60611.
Individual and group entrants may submit up to one entry per category during the Promotion Period. Entrants, whether submitting as an individual or a group, may not enter into a category more than one time during the contest duration. Group members listed on the entry form for a specific category are not allowed to re-enter the same category as an individual; however, a group member can enter a separate category as an individual or with a group. Multiple entries per category from an individual, group or group member will be disqualified.
- Contest Submission Guidelines:
- Video submissions must not exceed 180 seconds (3 minutes) in length.
- Video submission files must be: no larger than 1 GB in size and in one of the following formats: .mp4, .mov, .wmv, .avi.
- Art or Photo submissions must be: no larger than 20 MB and in one of the following formats: .jpg, .png, or .gif.
- Essay or Poem submissions must be at least 500 words but must not exceed 1,000 words in length.
- Only original music created by or music licensed by the entrant will be allowed in his/her video.
- All Entries must be in English.
- Entries must not have been previously posted where it could have been viewable by the public.
- Entries will be judged on the criteria outlined in Rule #5.
- A Group of up to five (5) people total is welcome to enter. Each Group must download the “Group” Entry Form(s) at expressionschallenge.com, click on the “Download” tab, and then print the Group Entry Form(s). Each team member must be included on the downloaded Group Entry Form(s). A Group can submit entries online or via mail. If a Group submits their entry online, only one group member can submit the entry on behalf of the group. This group member will have to select the “Group” tab on the online entry form, and will then be prompted to upload the Group Entry Form(s), which will verify the four (4) additional Group member’s participation. Mail entries to: Walgreens Expression Challenge, GoldStar Communications, 230 E. Ohio St., Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60611. Entry submitted via mail must include the General Contest Entry Form and the Group Entry Form. Entry Forms must be securely fixed to the Entry. Prizes will be split evenly among Group members.
- Limit of four (4) people in addition to entrant [five (5) people total] may be depicted in a video or photo submission.
- Individual Entrant, not entering the contest a as Group, must be able to provide a release form for each person appearing in his/her video or photo submission of his/her Entry. Sponsor must be able to contact each person appearing in the potential winner’s video or photo. Download the Appearance Release Form at expressionschallenge.com, click on the “Download” tab, and then select the Appearance Release Form to download.
- All persons depicted in submitted videos or photos must be 13 years of age or older as of the date of Entry for the Entry to be entered into the Contest. Entrant and all persons depicted in the video or photo must attest that he/she has read, understood and agreed to these Official Contest Rules.
Contest entries or portions thereof that include or involve the following will be disqualified, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion:
- Obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory content, data or images.
- Crude, vulgar or offensive pictures, depictions, images, language gang signs and/or symbols.
- Gratuitous violence, guns or other imagery or gestures of weapons.
- Explicit, graphic or sexual activity including nudity.
- Commercial products such as clothing, toys, food and/or their trademarks, brands, logo or endorsements.
- Music of any kind should not be used in videos unless owned or licensed by the Entrant.
- License plates, phone numbers, personal addresses (physical or email) or otherwise.
- Website or web page links.
- Illegal drug or alcohol use or abuse or product images.
- Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others.
- Trespass or the violation of other people’s rights or property.
- Illegal (discriminatory, harassing) or inappropriate activity, behavior or conduct (i.e, inflicting emotional distress).
- Conduct or activities in violation of these Official Rules.
- Any other content, display, materials and/or images that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- Any third party materials (including but not limited to music) that may otherwise violate or infringe any of the following:
- Copyright, trademark, logo or mark that identifies a brand or other proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity, or is otherwise objectionable, will not be considered and may disqualify the Entrant.
- Clothing that is worn in the video or photo or artwork should not contain any visible logos, drawings, cartoons, phrases, trademarks or other third-party materials.
- All Entries must be suitable for broadcast as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
- Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Entry from any source.
- No Entry shall contain any content or performance that has been broadcast or streamed, published or televised on television or as part of a recording of a motion picture film or television program.
- Sponsor has the sole discretion to determine whether art, a video, photo, essay or poem qualify as an Entry. Any Entry not in compliance with the Contest Submission Guidelines will be disqualified.
- Entry submissions must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or invade publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights. In such an event, the Entry will be disqualified from the Contest.
All Entries including personal information submitted at time of registration become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by entrants’ online service will apply. No information regarding Entries or judging, otherwise set forth in the Official Rules will be disclosed.
5. Contest Judging: Expressions Challenge judging takes place in three rounds: 1) Public Vote, 2) Preliminary Judging, and 3) Expert Panel Judging. Winners for this contest will be selected by either (a) public voting (b) private judging or (c) a combination of the two. The winners selected are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
- Public Voting — Public Voting is open to the public. Entries which adhere to the contest qualifications and official rules will be posted in the Contest section of the Expressions Challenge website (www.ExpressionsChallenge.com) within 24 hours of submission. Entrants are invited to share their entry with family, friends, teachers, peers, and social networks to vote for their entry. Public Voting is a weighted vote. Entries which meet the qualifications and official rules will proceed to the Preliminary Judging round. Public Voting ends prior to the start of the Preliminary Judging.
- Preliminary Judging – Preliminary Judging is a private judging round administered by the sponsor. In each category (Creative Writing, Visual Arts and Media Arts), the top 30 entries are selected for a total of 90 entries in Chicago and 90 entries in St. Louis. The Expert Panel of Judges in the respective markets will review the 90 runner-ups.
- Expert Panel Judging – Expert Panel Judging is the final private judging round administered by the sponsor. In each market, Chicago and St. Louis, a panel of experts, comprised of medical professionals, civic leaders, and accomplished artists and writers, are selected to judge the 90 runner-up entries. This Expert Panel of Judges is responsible for identifying the top two finalists per category (Creative Writing, Visual Arts and Media Arts) for a total of six finalists in their respective market.
All eligible Entries will be judged by a panel of judges determined by Sponsor, to determine one (1) First Place winner per Metropolitan Area per Category, and one (1) Second Place winner per Metropolitan Area per Category on or about November 30, 2016 on the basis of the following judging criteria:
- Appropriateness to Theme (40%)
- Originality (25%)
- Artistic Expression (25%)
- Entry description consisting of the entry title and a two to five sentence description (10%)
In the event of a tie, tied Entries will be re-judged by the judges based solely on Appropriateness to Theme. Decisions of judges are final with respect to all matters relating to this Contest and all interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsor is final.
- Prizes And Approximate Retail Values (“ARV”):First Place winners (6 – 1 per Category per Metropolitan Area): $2,000, awarded in the form of a check to the First Place winner, $500, awarded in the form of a check to the First Place winner’s school designated at time of registration and $500, awarded in the form of a check to the First Place winner’s teacher designated at time of registration. The ARV of each First Place prize is $3,000. Second Places (6 – 1 per Category per Metropolitan Area): $1,250, awarded in the form of a check to the Second Place winner, and $500, awarded in the form of a check to the Second Place winner’s teacher designated at time of registration. The ARV of each Second Place winner is $1,750. Prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of eligible Entries are received per Category per Metropolitan Area.
- General Rules: Winners will be notified by phone, e-mail and/or mail. Potential First and Second Place winners (or his/her parent or legal guardian, if a winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, liability/publicity release (where legal) and assignment of rights within seven (7) days of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited. Return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and alternate determination. A 1099 tax form will be submitted on behalf of the First and Second Place winners’ (or his/her parent or legal guardian’s) by Sponsor for the value of the prize awarded. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. The Sponsor, Administrator and its agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Contest or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the Entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site; violates the Official Rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel the Contest and determine the winners from among all eligible Entries received prior to cancellation based on the same criteria listed above.8. Release: By entering the Contest, each entrant and all persons depicted in each submitted Entry, as appropriate, hereby grant the Sponsor, Administrator and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and legal representatives the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use, reproduce, edit, market, broadcast, store, distribute, have distributed, reproduce, re-arrange, change, add to or delete from, translate, adapt or otherwise revise and/or alter the Entry by blurring or distorting any person, place or item depicted in the Entry, on any display thereof, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote his/her Entry, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes. In addition, each entrant and all those depicted in his/her Entry hereby assign to the Sponsor all royalty-free, non-exclusive rights, titles, and interests that he/she may be deemed to have in any reproduction, product, or derivative work using or incorporating the Entry. Each entrant represents and warrants that: (i) all rights to the Entry belong to the individual entrant and the Entry does not and shall not infringe on any copyright or any other third party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation, (ii) the Entrant has the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to the Entry (including any approvals from those depicted in your video/photo), free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity, (iii) the Entrant and all those depicted in his/her Entry hereby hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any third party claim arising from use of the Entry and the entrant waives any right to inspect or approve uses of the Entry or to be compensated for any such uses. Participating in the Contest constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agencies to use participants’ names, biographical information, pictures/portraits, likenesses, Entries and/or voices, for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. BY ACCEPTING A PRIZE, SPONSOR, ADMINISTRATOR, AND EACH OF THEIR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE SHAREHOLDERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS, MEMBERS, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY WINNERS FOR ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH AND PROPERTY DAMAGES SUSTAINED, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST OR PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY. Each entrant and persons appearing in Entry hereby represent and warrant that he/she has read these rules and are fully familiar with its contents.9. Winners’ List: The winners’ list will be available on or after December 1, 2016 through February 1, 2017 at www.expressionschallenge.com.10. Sponsor/Administrator: The Sponsor of the Contest is Walgreen Co., [104 Wilmot Rd MS#1444 Deerfield, IL 60015]. The Administrator of the Contest is GoldStar Communications, 230 E. Ohio St., Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60611.